My mac laptop is obviously BORG !!!
- Beautiful autumn morning.
- Started to work outside, with the bell birds and the beautiful view
- Left in a hurry
- Got home in the dark
- Rained cats and dogs
- Got up in the morning
- Hmm... where is my laptop... OH !
- Lift up laptop and poor off at least a litre of water
So I found some good web sites (XXX) and pulled apart the whole computer, every part I could really, down to but not including the LCD internally and the Logic board. And put it in front of a blow heater for about 24 hours - hot but still able to touch (you don't want to burn/melt the plastic).
Then I put the machine back together and turned it on.
- The battery charged up ok
- The computer would boot but no screen
- Next attempt - the screen worked but would go off almost immediately
- Next attempt - screen would come on with a key press, but not stay on
- Assumed the screen switch was faulty so checked that (reed switch under the left side of the keyboard - see XXX).
- Booted into target mode (Target Firewire drive, and copied off all the data).
- I should note here I use IMAP for mail, so no loss there, and Subversion for all code so no loss there, but I had lost a couple of invoices and of course the computer setup.
- Screen just would not stay on.
After pulling apart the machine again and checking the switch I plugged it all back in and it all worked? Great, but still had the screen with water in it so very dappled - maybe it is permanent ?
Put back in the battery - DOOH - went off again. So it was not the screen switch, but something to do with the battery or the charging circuit.
- Borrowed a friends battery - plugged it in - it all worked ! Yeah hah.
- Put my battery in friends computer - it all worked! Unexpected !
- Put my battery back, plugged in / out power - it all worked !
- Turned on computer to use - screen is clear - no more dappling !
So overnight, after a week of pulling apart the computer and drying/cleaning - my last two problems which I thought I could not fix (battery installed causing sleep and damaged LCD) magically fixed itself !
The mac is clearly indestructible !
Apple are known not to repair water damaged macs. Now we know why - they just fix themselves.