All about Fuppes on my Drobonet
My Teac 42" Plazma died last week, after just over 5 years of service (and warranty) so we purchased a new Samsung LED (side lit) TV (which is using about a 3rd the power - horrah).
And to my delight I discovered an ethernet port. A little digging and I found out it is a standard called DLNA (which I had not heard about, having a 5 year old TV).
Turns out my Drobo share can have FUPPES installed.
The bad (rather unusually first):
- No way to see the configuration or get info from Drobo on how to
- The drobo web app does not have a link to config, nor the information bar
- You have to do a search on the internet for FUPPES to even know where to start
- Why doesn't the Drobo Apps site have a short paragraph saying: "Once installed, go to this URL to configure".
The good (once installed and directory setup):
- It just works !
- UPDATE NOPE Very bad - not one of my movies (mostly MP4 of various types) are supported by the TV. Apparently they all have to be exactly the resolution of the TV or something crazy !
- Samsung TV found the box instantly
- It seems to play all the movies I have tried so far.