Australian Government Internet Filtering
The Australian Government is working on a filtering solution for the whole of Australia. The reason they quote is to protect illegal content such as child pornography.
Is the government going to filter encrypted data - no of course not. Are they going to block all ports except unencrypted HTTP, no of course not. Therefore the government will be putting in place only a system that effects legitimate traffic.
Will their system be effective in stopping or reducing child pornography - no - ZERO EFFECT !
So we have seen that there is no positive effect of the filtering. Is there a negative one. Yes unfortunately.
- The cost of building such a system is huge
- The effect on performance is real
- The potential to, even accidently, block legitimate content is a concern.
Effective filtering can be done with software at the end computer. It requires that a computer be controlled by an adult. What is done, what is installed. Without that adult control, some local filtering techniques you do not have effective filtering. Central filtering is a waste of resources and is damaging to the industry and individuals.
Please don't try and turn the Internet into a baby sitter. We have effective techniques (combined with adult supervision) right now. Use them wisely and stop expecting big brother to take the control.
- http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/11/10/2414895.htm Get the facts right.
- http://www.efa.org.au/censorship/mandatory-isp-blocking/ - a good analysis of the proposal